Many of us have good intentions to make positive changes, but fail to get started and therefore stay stuck living the undesired life we have while dreaming of the amazing life we really want. If you’re struggling to overcome personal challenges year after year, somewhere along the line you’re sabotaging yourself and your efforts to move forward and break free from what is holding you back.
So if you’re tired of the status quo and ready to make positive changes to improve your health, relationships, career, or life, here are 5 counterproductive thoughts and behaviors you must let go of in order to achieve your goals and create the extraordinary life you really want to live.
1. Being indecisive about what you really want – you will never leave where you are until you decide where you want to be. If you don’t have a clear direction or purpose you can easily get tangled in others’ wants, needs and dramas. Having a detailed and meaningful vision of what you really want will keep you focused and on track and motivated to achieve your goals. Make the decision to discover what it is you really want and then pursue it passionately.
2. Procrastinating on the goals that matter – there are two primary choices in life: accept things the way they are and do nothing or make the choice to change them and take action; and every day is a new chance to choose. By taking small action steps towards your goals you’ll be more productive, waste less time and energy, and your efforts will get positive and lasting results.
3. Running from problems that should be fixed – denying your problems, avoiding your challenges, and numbing your pain will not only keep you stuck, but can also lead to counterproductive distractions and destructive behaviors. Facing your fears, addressing your problems, and healing your pain will liberate you from a life of struggle and will open your mind to new and productive ways of thinking, doing, and being so you can let go, move on, and enjoy life!
4. Making excuses instead of decisions – rationalizing, excusing, or minimizing your undesirable situation will keep you in denial and stuck year after year. Blaming others or outside circumstances gives away your power because you cannot change others, but you most certainly can change yourself. When you take responsibility for your thoughts, behaviors, and actions you reclaim your power and feel more in control and confident pursuing your dreams and achieving your goals.
5. Believing you can do it alone – Unfortunately many people believe they’re weak if they ask for help, but it takes a lot more strength and courage to admit we can’t do it alone than it does to stay stuck and blame others. We all need help from time to time especially if we’re struggling with the same problems or challenges year after year. Mentors and coaches can help you uncover what’s keeping you stuck and then provide life skills and success strategies to help you overcome your challenges and achieve your goals much more quickly and effectively than going it alone.
By releasing these sabotaging thoughts and developing the confidence to let go of behaviors that are no longer serving you, you’ll move beyond the ordinary and start experiencing the extraordinary life with heightened levels of happiness, health, and success. Learn more about the many Services I offer to help you overcome your personal challenges and achieve your goals.